Thursday, January 8, 2015

"Training"

With about a month left before my first and only half marathon, I thought I would give a quick update.  I have learned a lot about myself and my body in the last few months.

First, I do like to run.  I enjoy the solitude and the feeling of accomplishment that I have when I am done.

Second, I am not and will never be a long distance runner and I am finally OK with that.  About the 7 mile mark my body started to revolt.  Aches and pains that I was just not expecting.  After having been to the doc one too many times, I have come to the conclusion that having four babies and being 47 just does not lend itself well to long distance running.  Up until these past few weeks, I had really hoped to run the whole 13.1 miles.  It was a mental set back to realize that a plan of walking and running was just going to have to be the way it is.  And that is totally fine!

Third, I am encouraging my kids to start a habit of "exercising" while they are young.  Nothing major just a quick walk around the block or a bike ride a couple times a week.  Just developing a healthy, active life style.

Fourth, I am not so afraid of stray dogs anymore.  I haven't seen many lately and because I have been running more during the day, I actually see where some live and know which houses have invisible fences etc.

Fifth, I have met a really neat couple in the neighborhood.  The wife runs half marathons and has been an encouragement.  Unfortunately they have put their house up for sale and are moving to a nice piece of property in the North Georgia mountains.  I will miss seeing them.

Sixth, I am glad I am doing this with friends.  It has been great to see the encouragement through texts and talks that we give one another even though we don't "train" together.  Most importantly, I think it has made all of us really appreciate our health.

Seventh, I really hope to continuing running even after the 1/2.  Probably more along the 3-6 mile distance.

Well, this is probably the last post about my training until after the 1/2.  Here's hoping it goes well . . .

No comments: