Monday, September 23, 2013

Alone Time

For the last couple of years, I have been trying to figure out a way to spend time with each child, alone.  We have planned dinners or treats or staying up late when daddy was working.  But, most of that has fallen by the wayside.  Daddy doesn't work late anymore and our school days have gotten a little longer as everyone has gotten older.  And life has just gotten plain busy.

I have made charts and schedules all in attempt to get alone time with each one.  Then one day it dawned on me.  Almost every single day, I read to each child individually.  Including EG.  We sit on the couch together and read a book.  It might be history or literature or an Aesop fable.  But, it is just me and one child.  We cuddle or I rub a head as I read.

It may not be a yogurt or a game.  But, it is something.  I think sometimes as a mom, I try to hard to do certain things.  Check off certain boxes of good mothering.  And if I would just sit back and see the way we live, a lot of those things are done naturally.  Just within the context of us homeschooling and living.

I know there are times when a yogurt will be "necessary."  Or staying up late with me will be a treat.  But, as the days fly by, I am thankful for these little blessings tucked into every day life . . .

No comments: