Thursday, May 29, 2014

Full Schoolhouse

I love this time of year.  Of course the weather is awesome and I love the sunshine.  But, one of the biggest reasons I like this time of year is contemplating school for next year.  We are never really finished with our school year.  It doesn't really have an official start date or an end date.  We will take off the month of June.  And start back after the 4th of July.  We have done this, more or less, for the last couple of years.  If we school when it is crazy hot here, then when the weather is nice we can take days off.

The kids don't mind.  I don't think.  I have explained to them about all the great things that we get to do during the school year that we "take days off" for.  And I think they get it.  Also, our summer school days are pretty simple.  Math, some writing and a ton of reading.  And we will usually done in about two hours depending on how motivated they are.  They also know if something fun comes up we will take the day off.

Anyway, this is the time of year I like to assess what we have done in the past and think about ways to improve or change or tweak what we will do in the future.  I love the way we do school.  I would not change the backbone of how we do it.  But, as the kids get older and I add my last student, things have to evolve.

Yes, adding a student!  EG will be starting Kindergarten this year so I will have a full schoolhouse.  I can hardly believe it!  She has always been included in the school we do anyway.  But now she will be a little more intentional in what she learns.  She has been doing math for a couple of weeks just because she wants to.  She will work on handwriting and we will spend a lot of time reading together.  I have books lined up for history and science and fun.  I am still a big fan of learning everything through really great literature!

In the weeks to come, I will be posting a little bit more about how and what we will be doing for school next year.  I love learning.  I love teaching.  I love homeschooling  . . . .

No comments: