Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Times Are A Changin'

(EG asleep on the couch)

So I woke up this morning, for the fifth night in a row, without an EG in my bed.  Many years ago, when she would wake up in the middle of the night and make the trek to our room, I would get up and go lay back down with her until she was fast asleep in her own bed.

But, as I got older and the nights got shorter, when she came into our room (usually anywhere between 2-5), I would just let her stay.  I know, I know, we could discuss my parenting skills and how important it is for children to sleep in their own beds etc.  I have done all of that with the other three.  And now it is my baby.  I feel there are different rules, to some degree, for the baby.

I was certain there would be no other newborns in the house so I didn't have to worry about that.  Every single night she would go to bed, in her own bed, without complaint.  Many nights she would crawl into our bed and I wouldn't even know she was there until morning.  When hubby leaves for work between 5 and 5:30 he always does a kid check.  Making sure everyone is where they are suppose to be.  A couple of times he didn't even know she was in our bed until he went to check hers and she wasn't there.  Imagine his suprise!

Anyway, last night was the fifth night in a row that baby girl slept in in her own bed.  All night.  And she is darn proud of herself too.  It is one of those bitter sweet moments.  My baby isn't a baby.  Oh, I am sure there will be nights she will still come in.  And maybe this is just some fluke.  But, it has given me pause to realize they do grow up.  Even when they are baby.

The baby isn't so much a baby anymore . . . 

No comments: