Saturday, June 28, 2014

Woot Woot Teenager in the House!

As April rolled around we found ourselves with a teenager in the family!  I remember being a teenager.  It seems like yesterday.  Not 30 some odd years ago!

I have been reading up on teenagers a little bit these past few months.  And before I share about how we celebrated our new teenager, I am going to share a little bit of what I have learned.  It is my blog.  I get to do that. ;)  The teenage years are not to be feared.  They are to be approached as an age of opportunity.  (The name of one of the books I read.)

Don't miss understand me.  I think the teenage years can be filled with a little bit of confusion and frustration. On the child's part and on the parents.  There is soooo much going on mentally, physically, emotionally and spiritually.  But, the one thing I have gleaned from most of what I read is, this is a great age for a child to start spreading their wings.  To really start to practice the lessons that, we as parents, have tried so hard to convey to them.  They get to start putting into practice all the lessons on humility and serving and sacrificing and loving and giving and responsibility and ownership and work ethic and what the world is about etc.

That is one of the hardest things I have had to learn.  I have to let go.  Just a little bit at a time.  To give her (them) the opportunity to test out all that she (eventually they) have read, heard, learned etc.  And it is also a time to start letting go of some of the consequences of choosing not to be humble or serving or sacrificing or loving or responsible. . . .That is hard too.  But, it takes baby steps and that is where the teen years come in.  Still at home.  Still responsible to us.  We still get to have loving and encouraging and supporting conversations that can shape life choices. (Our youth pastor posted this quote not to long ago "We get to make choices and then our choices make us.")

The teenage years are full of ample opportunity to impart Godly wisdom.  Wisdom that will be with them for a life time.  Wisdom that is built on Truth and Love.  Wisdom that transcends time and is not based on the whims of the world.  Sometimes they take it and sometimes they don't.  But, I am presented, daily and sometimes hourly, with Godly life lessons with my teenager (many times with all the kids.)  There is so much to think about and contimplate.  Not just for the kids but for myself as well.  I have thought so many times about the person I might have been had God not blessed me with a loving husband and four wonderful children.  I would totally be missing one of the greatest parts of parenting if I thought it was all about their growth spiritually, mentally, physically and emotionally!  So, the beauty of all of this is I get to grow in Godly wisdom as well!!  God uses my teenager (and the rest of my family) to mature me into the person He created me to be!  God is amazing!!

OK so enough of that!

Now on to pictures from NG's birthday celebration.  She is such a trooper.  On her actual birthday and that weekend, we were all part of our church's musical so there wasn't much in the way of celebrating at the house.  But, on the following Monday, she had a "big girl" birthday party.  I reserved a table for 10 at a trendy restaurant in midtown.  The menu had options like mac and cheese with spinach etc.  She invited a bunch of her closest gal pals and had a very grown up lunch.  (Grandma was there too!)  The restaurant was very accommodating.  And the girls were adorable.  We sat outside at wrought iron tables under a couple of big umbrellas.

Then, after lunch, we walked next door to a cupcakery for dessert.  The girls' did a little shopping in the boutique and then ordered a cupcake which they ate out on the porch.  I had so much fun hanging out on the periphery of the get together.  Just watching and listening.  I loved watching them order and eat and chat and giggle.  My daughter has such great friends.  I love each one of them!



Birthday Girl!!


Sisters!





I would be lying if I said I don't worry about the next few years.  So much going on.  And way too fast.  But, there are sooooo many glimmers of what a wonderful time this can be.  And, so, I am really, really trying to approach this time of life as a wonderful age of opportunity.  Happy, happy birthday to my wonderful teenager . . . 



2 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Oh wow! Happy bday NG! Crazy that 13 years have flown by already. You are soooooo very blessed to have a mother like you do. I think if we had all had a mom like Ann that maybe the teenage years would not have such a bad rep! Enjoy this special time....big hugs!

Ann said...

NG read it and smiled. Thank you for the encouraging words MB!! Love ya bunches!