Friday, October 24, 2014

"Training" So Far

So, I am in about the fourth month of training for my half marathon in February.  I know they have a couch to 1/2 in like 12 weeks or something.  But, I have learned, for me, it is important to go super slow.  I am still working on a 10K.  But, that is OK.  The one week I did four miles pretty fast, under a 10 minute mile and I couldn't walk for about 3 days.  The only thing I can think of, is that I just went way too fast.  I took it really slow for the rest of the week.  Ran the 4 miles again the next Saturday and didn't hurt at all.

Somethings I have learned or just want to share:

-Mondays are hard.  I am sluggish.

-When the sun is coming up among the clouds I can't help but picture Jesus, coming back, riding on those     clouds. (I have seen some spectacular sunrises.)

-I am a firm believer that the days I walk for strength and endurance really help in being able to run much better for longer distances.

-Apparently muscles take up more space than flab.  I put on a pair of jeans the other day only to find them    tight.  Not what I was expecting.

-I have a deathly fear of stray/loose dogs.  I see one at least once a week.  And I have called hubby more than once to come and scare the dogs away.  I carry this ridiculous stick with me when I run.  Hubby says it won't do a thing to protect me.  I say it will buy me time and it is kind of like a security blanket.

-Just like everything else in life, we make time for what we think is important.  And right now, running kind of is important for me.  I get up crazy early, have my quiet time and off I go.  There are many days where it is super, super hard.  And the last thing I want to do before the sun comes up is lace up my shoes.  But, I am serious about this for a bunch of good/different reasons.

-My kids have been phenomenal.  If they wake up before I get home, they either get started on their stuff for the day or just lay peacefully on the couch.  I have my running schedule worked out so that my long days are at the end of the week and have less interference with school.

-I never thought a 2 mile run would be a short day.

-I didn't realize that I would have to do additional/different types of exercises to tone different parts of my lower body.  That will have to be next year's project.

-Hubby sometimes shows up part way through my exercising.  He likes to talk.  I can barely breathe.

-Heart muscles develop faster than leg muscles.  So, even though I feel like I can run more because I can breathe, I really need to stop because my leg muscles don't start screaming until I am done.  And then it is too late.

-This past Saturday I ran 5 miles.  Tomorrow I am to run 5.5.

-I have met a neighbor who also runs the same time I do.  We ask each other how far we are running for the day.  It is kind of encouraging.

-My first and probably only race before the 1/2 will be a Turkey Trot with me and my big girls.

I think that is it for now.  I am so glad I started this.  So thankful for friends and family who encourage and grateful to God for a body that can still run at this age. . .




No comments: