Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Livin' Life

I miss my blog. And I have soooo much to say. But, alas, no time to say it.

Yesterday, though, I read the following passage in one of my favorite books, Understood Betsy. I love the book so much that this is my fourth time reading it. This time to EG. And the neat part is, I was reading this book to NG when she was 7. Right before EG was born. And the even neater thing is, I loved the main character soooo much that I named my baby girl after her.

Anyway, here is the passage:

This time Elizabeth Ann didn't answer, because she herself didn't know what the matter was. But I do, and I'll tell you. The matter was that never before had she known what she was doing in school. She had always thought she was there to pass from one grade to another, and she was ever so startled to get a glimpse of the fact that she was there to learn how to read and write and cipher and generally use her mind, so she could take care of herself when she came to be grown up.

So, the passage struck me in a very profound way yesterday. I have been struggling with the continued idea of homeschooling. It is hard and time consuming with little encouragement. But, that passage sums up why I probably chose to homeschool again this year. I don't want my kids to just learn for learning sake or to recite facts or to pass tests or even to progress to the next level. I want my kids to learn so they can use their minds! So that they can love learning. So that they can completely and thoroughly take care of themselves when the become grown ups! It isn't about a grade or a test score or even a recitation of mere facts. It is a process that we use to become engaging, competent and interesting and contributing human beings to society. Schooling is a process that appeals to the heart, soul, mind and body of a child. The passage was much needed encouragement from one of my most favorite books!

So, that is why I included these pictures too. School isn't just about learning for us right now. We practice loving and serving along with learning. We fill our minds but our hearts too. With the sweetness of what life is for us. Today.

So, today, we homeschool . . .





No comments: