Thursday, August 7, 2014

The Question

Because NG is entering her last year of middle school, I have gotten the question, more than once, "What about high school?"  So, these are my thoughts about homeschooling, in a nutshell.

Obviously I am a firm believer of homeschooling otherwise I wouldn't be doing it.  I am a huge proponent of homeschooling in the elementary school age.  I think it provides a great opportunity to build a wonderful biblical and educational foundation.

I am also a firm believer of homeschooling in middle school.  Being a teenager can be hard.  So much going on emotionally, physically, spiritually and mentally.  It is a great time to give my kids short wings.  To experience some of life and to sow and reap etc.  But, we are always a conversation away.  When "stuff" happens and it does, no matter what.  We get to discuss much of it almost immediately.  There is still time for guidance and reassurance and some times redirecting.  Little by little preparing them to leave the nest.

As for high school, I am not planning on sending any of them to high school.  I would like to finish what we started.  But, I will never say never.  I have been alive too long to know that things change.  That being said, there are soooo many wonderful opportunities for high school homeschoolers.  Dual enrolment at the local community college, co-ops, writing and science classes offered.  Flexibility for work, travel, missions etc.

I don't have to know everything.  But, I know people who do know a lot of things about certain things.  And I will go to them as resources.  I also know that my kids know how to find out about things.  It is rare I answer a question for them.  They usually are expected to find out for themselves.  I was once told by a veteran homeschool mom while in the grocery store, "When asked by curious people about a certain subject, topic, date in history etc. just encourage your children, if they don't know the answer to reply 'We don't know the answer to that but we can certainly find out.'"  In other words, it is impossible for me, or any other teacher, to ever be able to teach everything to every student.  But, if we teach our kids how to find out information, how to research and know their way around a library and/or the Internet, we are doing more than OK.

So, we are a year away from high school.  And my educational plan has not changed.  Homeschool all the way through . . .

No comments: