Saturday, August 2, 2014

Haiti Team



I believe the above pictured people are truly a team.  The majority of the people pictured have been to Haiti at least once in the past 12 months.  And the neatest thing is, all but one of the people pictured, is under the age of 30!

Majority of this group had been to Haiti just a couple of months ago.  And their love for Jesus, orphans, and the Haitian people compelled them to go back within months of their return to the states.  So, a week and a half ago, our family along with a couple of others met at the airport at a crazy early time and sent them off on their mission.

It is such a neat, neat time.  We stand around and they tell stories and we hold hands and pray together right in the middle of the airport.  We give cards and Scriptures verses and words of encouragement to send them off.  We give hugs and there are usually tears.

I had the opportunity to talk with one of the young girls the other night.  (They all have been very patient with my questions and curiosity.)  She just said how she knew from an early age she wanted to work with orphans.  She just was waiting on God to show her how and when.  Now that she has been and back twice, she said she misses it.  Her heart is there.

I applauded her.  Although that doesn't sound like the right.  Anyway, I told her I barely remember my 20s and I was just so proud of her (and the others) to use her youth and singleness and gifts and talents to follow what God was calling them to do.  She is planning on going back at the end of the year with a couple of others from the same group.  She is also thinking about long term missions next year.

My body tingles and tears come to my eyes when I think about what these young people are willing to sacrifice for the sake of following Christ!  They are such wonderful examples and encouragement for all of us who desire to follow Christ.  We have mission fields all around us, whether here or abroad.

As I have mentioned before, my desire is to some day follow in her foot steps into the foreign mission field.  But until then, I will support each and every person from our church who is willing to be the hands and feet of Jesus to "the least of these."  Knowing they are expanding and glorifying the Kingdom of God .  . . 

No comments: