Saturday, July 26, 2014

A Half Marathon

I am "training" for a half marathon.  I can't believe I am actually putting this out there.  But, I have been "in training" for about 5 weeks now so maybe it will really happen.

Quick back story:  A good friend of mine, who is a runner, was diagnosed this past January with a brain tumor at the base of her skull.  She went to the eye doctor because she was having trouble seeing.  And within a few days was diagnosed with a brain tumor sitting on her optic nerve.  Within weeks she was scheduled for surgery and has since been through 5 weeks of radiation.  And she is on the mend!

On the day of her surgery she had been signed up for our city's half marathon which, obviously she did not run.  So, a bunch of us had this great idea to celebrate recovery and life and health and our friend by running the city's half marathon with her this coming February.  That is why I am training for a half marathon.  I had wanted to start exercising for a bunch of different reasons and this was the motivation that I personally needed.

Slow and steady wins the race.  Well, I don't anticipate winning any races but my goal is it just finish.  And to celebrate life with a great group of ladies.

My sister in law, who trains triathletes gave me great advice and a plan to build endurance.  The whole family has been pretty encouraging.  I even bought some exercise clothes!  I take the time to pray and thank God for my many blessings during my "runs."  I even try to memorize Scripture during that time.  It all helps me push through the more difficult parts.  At the end of our runs, a bunch of us text each other our runs for the day to help encourage one another.  (It is next to impossible for a bunch of homeschooling mamas to run together.)

I need to exercise.  I want to be a part of this celebration.  So, we will see how the next few months go . . .

2 comments:

Katie said...

Go, Ann, go!

Ann said...

Thank you for the encouragement!! Only time will tell what really happens. But, I am hopeful! Hope you are having a great summer. ;)