Friday, July 18, 2014

Ballet on the Big Screen

Recital week I received an email from the Admin Assistant of the girls' ballet program.  The email was telling everyone that the local college's film school was producing a film about the story of a dance mom and daughter who moved to a different city.  And they were looking for extras to be in the film.  The girls had to dress like dancers, black leotards, shoes, hair in a bun etc.  And to bring costumes to wear if we had them and extra ones to use as props, if we had them.

I didn't tell the girls for a couple of days that I was contemplating taking them.  Hubby had to work the days they were needed so that meant all of us had to go.  I explained to the director's assistant or whoever it was that I called what my situation was and she was more than accommodating.  She even asked if I wanted to be a ballet mom in the film!  (I didn't.)  So, I decided to take the girls.  As long as they wanted to.  And of course they did.

We had no idea what to expect, although I had heard that our film school was pretty well known.  Anyway, we were needed for a couple of hours on the first day.  We brought snacks and stuff to do.  But, honestly, it was a well oiled machine and they had people who were constantly making sure we were OK.  The girls only had to shoot about 20 minutes total and we were there for at least 3 hours.  When they were needed, I think they just kind of stayed backstage while the film crew shot the stage.  So all you would see was them just standing there waiting for their turn to perform.  I am totally guessing because the littles and I did our best to stay out of the way.

The next day was much more hectic.  They used them in the dressing room and walking down the hall with a rolling hanger full of costumes.  I think Little Mama even got to pretend she was talking to the girls next to her!

It ended up being a lot of waiting and doing things over and over.  I think the girls got a real dose of what it would be like to be an actress.  Not quite so glamorous all the time!  They had a fabulous time though and they were glad they did it.

Someone from the film school called Sunday and asked if they would be interested in being in another film.  I told the girls about it and they didn't get all excited.  I think they enjoyed the experience but didn't need to do it again.

The film comes out the second week in December and the film school will invite us all to come watch it.  It will be interesting to see just how much they really ended up in the movie . . . .

2 comments:

Diane Moody said...

How exciting! You'll have to let us know when the movie is released. What a great experience (in spite of all the waiting)! You all do the most fascinating things! I've missed catching up on your posts ... need to catch up! Love you! ~Diane

Ann said...

They will show the movie on campus in December but I think that is as far as it gets. ;)