Saturday, February 28, 2015

Letting the Kids Know

Yesterday, on our way to Book Discussion, I decided to tell the kids that we were not doing school for the month of March.  In all honesty, I thought I would hear a lot of loud "hurrays" and "yippies."  Instead I heard a very calm "Will we still do Math?" and "Yea, no rules." (That would be EG)

I was quick to clarify there would still be rules but I really wanted to take the time to work on some heart issues that I felt were getting in the way of fully experiencing joyful and peaceful homeschool days.  (Myself included!)  I told them I felt we needed to slow down and really prioritize what we do.

I told them I want to get back to the basics.  To work on a good foundation.  We have developed a lot of bad habits.  Little ones, that day after day, can hinder peaceful progress.  As I was telling Boop, all habits are learned and they are like ruts in our brains.  Things we do, day after day that we don't really think about.  I want to replace some of the bad ruts we have created with good ruts.  I have great kids.  And I really think we do school well.  We just need a few adjustments to make things even better!

We are so darn busy that our goal everyday is to just get finished with what we are doing so we can go on to the next thing.  School is important, activities have value and service is necessary.  But, so is rest.  So is enjoying the simple pleasures of life.

Anyway, I think the kids think they are going to be sleeping in and doing nothing all day.  And there might be some of that.  But we are just going to take our time in everything we do.  Teaching diligence and doing a job right the first time.

Some big projects will be the garden and cleaning and decluttering and organizing.  We are redoing our master bath so the kids will be peeling wallpaper and helping with tile.  I am sure Boop will be helping with tools and such.  

I must keep my expectations in check.  Because we are who we are.  No matter what, we are still a small big family full of sinners.  Each of us growing at our own pace every minute of every day to be Christlike.  And through all of it, truly grateful for the grace and mercy of God. . . .

No comments: