Saturday, April 18, 2015

Homemade Laundry Detergent

There have been a lot of really great things going on in our house this past month.  Celebrating Easter and the marriage of my sister.  And I will get to all those great things but I just had to post about my homemade laundry detergent because I love it! And it is a short post!

About two years ago I got a wild hair to make my own detergent.  I heard it was good and super easy to make and really, really cheap.  I got the ingredients and put it all together.  We were all a little skeptical because I am a big Tide fan and I am fanatical about laundry.

It worked like a charm.  The only downside was that if there is a navy or dark colored cotton t-shirt (Boop and Daddy) and greasy hands get wiped on them, it had to be pretreated with a little bit of Dawn dish soap.  No biggie.  With high efficiency washers this detergent is perfect because there are very few suds.

Well, these past few months we have been so busy that when we ran out of our homemade detergent (lasted like 7 mos for roughly $10.00) we (meaning Little Mama) just didn't have time to make more.  So, one of my goals when we weren't doing school was to make more detergent.  This time I have added lemon and Thieves essential oils.  And I am soooo glad we have it back!  The clothes aren't musty smelling and the savings is fabulous!

Score one for happy homemaking . . .

No comments: