Friday, June 19, 2015

In a Nutshell

I could go on and on about the girls bike trip this year. But, it would take too long and I wouldn't finish so I decided to just write down the few memorable moments they shared with me so we would have it down for posterity.

The first biking day was hard. Really hard. Little Mama didn't make it along with two other girls. They were a couple of the younger riders. It was super hot and crazy hilly and 50 miles. Daddy used his parental discretion and had LM get in the truck. Had it not been for her hospital stay 10 days prior he might not have been so gracious because he knew she could do it.

They next day they spent the whole day in a really nice, really huge retirement community. Their Youth Choir director went up to what he thought was an outside restaurant type deal filled with Vietnam Vets. He asked if the kids could sing for them. Turns out it was a bar and while the kids were signing all of the people passed a hat and collected like $70. They insisted that our pastor take it and walk down the road and buy all the kids ice cream!

Next, they "opened" for a local band called Randy and the Rockets or some such name. They really couldn't stand on the stage because they would have needed a permit. But, while the concert goers were waiting for the main attraction, the kids sang off to the side.

That night they performed for a dinner show. (I think it was that night.) Members of one of the church bought spaghetti dinners and the kids served it and then sang their performance. They people very graciously recorded the whole event and put it on Facebook.

The next day I was a mess because it was another 50 mile ride and I wanted LM to succeed. I knew she could do it. I also wanted the other two girls to finish the ride that day. I spent all day praying and checking Facebook to see what I could see.  Finally daddy called and I knew she had done it. Along with the other two girls. I was so, so thankful!

LM shared with me that instead of thinking about herself on her second 50 mile ride, she concentrated on encouraging those around her. Taking the focus off of her and putting her focus towards others. And it worked! She said it was an "easy" ride! The night before, the student leader of devotions, talked about encouraging others. Not just how encouraging others can help one another but in an off hand way it can bless you as well.  And Little Mama was paying attention!

The last day was a short ride, 30 plus miles to the beach. When they arrived, they stuck their front tire in the Atlantic, sang one more song to some people on the beach and had a great time just playing around.

A few of us moms drove the four hours to get them. Literally pulled up to the beach and loaded them up and headed back for home. I had a car full of girls. I thought they would sleep. They didn't. They talked and laughed and reminisced the entire time!

Nature Girl was worried that it wouldn't be as much fun as serving at the children's home last year. But she worried for nothing. She liked how last year they biked some where and stayed for a bunch of days. Getting to know kids and serving. But this year NG said she really enjoyed the fact that they got to sing a whole lot more. They sang at least once a day, if not more.

The trip is in the books. More memories made. They days of these youth are not being wasted that is for sure. . . .





















(There are well over a hundred pictures. These are just a few in random order. I don't think I will ever have them all. I am not even sure I have seen them all.)

1 comment:

Katie said...

Pretty amazing, if you ask me.
Well done!