Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Smartie Pants

So, I finally have had time to go into my email for FLVS. It is the virtual school that NG is using to learn Latin. She really wanted to learn Latin and we have tried a thing or two at the house but it just wasn't working. So, we thought we would give our state virtual school a shot.

I was terrified. She actually gets a grade that is permanent. As a homeschool mom, I always "worry" that my kids are measuring up. Most of the time I really don't care. BUT, when there is an actual grade involved, given by someone other than me, it is a little daunting. Especially for the very first time.

The computer is a mystery to me so I knew I would not be any help whatsoever. And I was right. When I talked with the teacher for our very first conference she asked if I had any questions. I very honestly told her "I did not" because I was CLUELESS. NG would ask me occasional questions and I was able to give a little guidance. But she literally was on her own for everything and I let the teacher know because I didn't want it to count against her. The teacher assured me, based on what she saw, that NG was doing fine. Just fine. In fact, she mentioned that she wished all her students did so well.

Well, I got her finally grade the other day and it was an A. Not just an A but a 95% in Latin. Her first time with a "class" so to speak. She is a great student. She reads books everyday that are college level. She is honest and tells me she doesn't always like them, but she gets them. She doesn't shirk her work. And honestly, with teaching 4, she could totally get away with not doing stuff.

Anyway, I am proud of her. She is a fabulous student and I love teaching her and being very involved in her journey. She will definitely be a student for life. While eating ice cream the other night she was reading through a fictional History book she has read already. Can't argue with that.

Now for semester number two. We will see if she can keep it up . . .

No comments: