Monday, October 3, 2011

Service

That is a topic that twirls around in my head constantly. As a follower of Christ, I am to serve others. What I struggle with most is the where, when and to what extent. I know it is to be a selfless service, one born out of my love for Christ. I also know it isn't always going to be comfortable or convenient. It won't always be easy and for the most part, there will be a sacrifice whether it is time or money or comfort.

I think as a whole we do pretty well. But, I feel, on a lot of days that I can (and I want) to do more. There in lies the dilemma. I am a stay-at-home, homeschooling mother of four. To what extent am I to be unselfish, uncomfortable or inconvenienced? It isn't just me I have to consider. My God given considerations, at this time in my life, are to God, my husband and my children.

I pray about this every. single. morning. Many days I am stewing about, looking for ways to serve. Not necessarily a bad thing I don't think. A wise friend told me not too long ago "At this stage in your life, you don't need to be actively looking for places to serve." What she meant was, my mission field, right now, is my home. And there is nothing wrong with that. My home and family were given to me by God.

I want, God wants, me to raise missiles, arrows, warriors for Christ. My children, my home, my husband, my family, my neighbors are my immediate mission field. That is a full time missionary position, for me, right now.

Does that mean I shouldn't serve anywhere else. Heck no! But, I do think it means I need to pay a little more attention to where God is working around me and join him. I am not going to Africa anytime soon (although I would love to). But, I am going to go to Meals on Wheels on Wednesday and pray for my MOW's friends and help arrange trips to the doctor or give hugs and just listen.

I am going to pay closer attention to things we can do as a family and run all of my ideas through God and hubby. I am not going to feel unsettled or disappointed or not worthy because there are many things that I just can not do. For a lot of different reasons. God knows my heart and my desire and willingness to serve Him.

God has a plan just for my family. Yes, it will be one that calls me, us, out of our comfort zone. It is going to be an opportunity to serve others and share the love us Christ. And it will include sacrifices. But, it is going to look different than the Jones' because we are not the Jones'. And God doesn't want us to be the Joneses.

I am responsible to God and my hubby. And, I think I am going to spend a little more time on the people and areas that God has placed directly in my life. And just kind of go from there, for now. . .

No comments: