Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Boop and Broccoli

About six weeks ago, at church, the kids were learning about the virtue of thankfulness.  To encourage the kids to be thankful, at the end of the program, they handed out Thank You cards and told each child to think of someone they wanted to thank and send them the card.

The next morning, during school, we took some time to think of someone they each wanted to thank.  Nature Girl picked her Sunday School teacher and LM gave hers to her ballet teacher.

For a couple of weeks we had been praying for a son of a friend of ours, nicknamed Broccoli, who I have known since he was my kids age.  He had recently been deployed to Iraq.  He was part of some type of convoy thing.  We prayed for his safety every morning and sent letters and FaceBook messages to him.

So, when Boop picked some one he was thankful for, he picked Broccoli.  He wrote out his card, thanking him for his service and wanting to know who was winning. ;)  We put it in the mail.  I sent Broccoli a FB message just letting him know he would be receiving a card written just by Boop.  He sent me a message back letting me know that the Post Office was closing because they were being sent back to the States!

Of course that was fabulous news and I knew my mom's friend would be over joyed!  About 2 weeks later I got Boop's card back in the mail.  But, we were going down to visit my mom and would be able to leave the card with Broccoli's mom.  And she would be sure to get it to him when he was state side.

Well, this morning my phone rings and it was a number I did not recognize.  Usually I just ignore those.  But, I am sooooo, soooo glad I didn't.  It was Broccoli calling for Boop!!  I was so excited.  And, when Boop was told who was on the phone for him, he grinned from ear to ear.

They talked for a few minutes.  When I asked Boop what Broccoli said he told me "He said he thinks they won."  That soldier, who we prayed for and are so thankful for, made my son's day.  Where would we be without the men and women, who are willing to put their lives on the line, every day to protect the lives of others.

Thank you Broccoli for your service and we are so thankful you are home for the holidays . . . .

No comments: