Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Close to God

I am never much closer to God as when I have to go to the dentist.  I know that may sound a little strange but this is the deal.

When I go to the dentist, especially to have major work done, like today, I am a nervous wreck.  I practically hyper ventilate.  I shake and tighten my whole body so taunt that I am sore the next day.  The dentist has to remind me to breathe and to relax my jaw.

The hygienist and the dentist are constantly telling me I am doing fine.  I literally am one breath away from a panic attack.  Today, I thought for sure, my hubby was going to have to come pick me up.

What does this have to do with God one might ask.  Well, let me answer.

I have absolutely no control over the situation.  I can't do or say anything to make matters better (or worse.)  I have no knowledge of what is going on.  I am at the absolute mercy of the dentist and his wisdom and knowledge.

All I can do is just lie there.  And say a few unintelligible words.  For a control freak like me, that is huge.  I have absolutely no other choice but to pray.  To ask God to calm my nerves and help me to control my shaking body.  To ask Him for wisdom and a steady hand for the dentist.  Pray that the extent of the damage is not too great and that there will be no pain.

Today, for two hours, I laid there, in the hands of dentist.  I just kept repeating verses I had memorized and singing worship songs.  I would pray when things got really nerve wracking.

I know there are lot worse things than going to the dentist (which makes it even worse to know I am such a wimp.)  But, for me, in that moment, I am very close to God.  And so thankful He hears my every word . . . 

2 comments:

MollyMcFarland said...

I feel ya sista.

Katie said...

Me too..... I have such a hard time going to the dentist for so many reasons!!! And I've been thinking about it a lot lately, since I'm due (overdue) to go in. ugh.