Wednesday, May 23, 2012

That Kind of Mom

I was at Boop's t-ball game on Saturday and I over heard a conversation between one of the 6 year old player's mom and the coach.  They know each other and are friends.  I wasn't eavesdropping.  It was impossible not to hear the conversation.

The mom is sporty.  She comes from work in stylish clothes and heels that would give me a nose bleed (or a broken ankle).  She always has combed hair (not in a ponytail) and make up on.  On Saturdays she is in some cute sundress with 4 inch cork sandals.  Always showered and this past Saturday had clean hair and a big floppy sun bonnet to match her white linen sundress.

Anyway, the coach was teasing her saying something to the effect of why doesn't she ever wear just plain ole' flip flops.  Her response was "Oh no, I don't want to be that kind of mom."

I am positive, she didn't really mean to say that, in that way.  Although, I have no doubt she thinks similar things about moms like me.  Because she makes every effort not to look that way.

I was in my stadium chair in jean shorts, tank top and, of course, flip flops.  What strangers have to say doesn't usually bother me much.  But, I was having a rough morning.  All six of us to the ball field by a little after 10.  An awards banquet after that.  A play date for the girls that afternoon and the grocery store to be fit in between.

Well, I had to ask myself "what kind of mom would that be?"  I spent the whole morning trying to figure out what she meant.  I am not stylish, I am comfortable, I don't spend an extraordinary amount of time fixing myself (I don't have extra time), I am on time most of the time, I love to watch my boy play ball, I have given up a career to be with my children 24/7, I have stepped out in faith and am educating my kids at home, I am more concerned about the inside then what I (or my family) wears on the outside, were just a few of the things I was thinking.  Is that the kind of mom she was talking about?

If that is the kind of mom she is talking about, then, I would say I am definitely that kind of mom . . .

1 comment:

Katie said...

Very well said, Ann. I definitely have issues with this. I usually feel bad about myself when I'm not put-together (which is often!), especially when I see another mom who is. I have to remind myself how I got here, and here is exactly where I want to be.