Friday, December 7, 2012

Book Club

We have got a great group of peeps that we gather with for book club.  I think we are in year three and our little group has grown.  Nine families and like 20 plus kids.  In our little homeschool we don't have many opportunities to write reports or get up and talk in front of others.  So, when I noticed that deficiency a couple of years ago, I created the Book Club to fill in the gap.  Plus, I love each and every family and their children. So, it has also become quality time with friends!

Anyway, this past book club's book was Men of Iron written by Pyle, the author of Robinhood.  It wasn't an easy book.  A lot of "methinks" and other such words.  But the story was fabulous.  I think it is a must read for all elementary age boys.  The main topic of the book is honor and loyalty and chivalry.  At least that is what I got from it!!

In an attempt to really do a little bit more with book club each kid has been filling out a passport with the "places we have been" through the books.  We also have this great Felix book and it has different activities that the kids can do based on a place or time period.  Things like word searches and missing pieces puzzles. More work book type stuff.

This time, when I first started reading the book to the kids, I had an idea to build a sugar cube castle.  I like to say I was divinely inspired because honestly I am not all that creative.  And another thing we don't do a lot of is busy work or hands on stuff.  Anyway, I googled a "how to" and then the day before book club we stopped at the grocery store and got a bunch of boxes of sugar cubes.

We all helped, even EG.  When we were done it didn't look like anything I saw on Google but it was ours and we did it together.  I hope it helps the kids remember a little something about the book . . .





No comments: