Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The Power Plant

A little over a week ago our local power plant had an Open House.  They have one every year but this is the first year we decided to go.  Mostly because hubby recommended it.  He drives by it frequently and it is in the zone where he works so he was able to meet us out there for a little bit.

It was an open house at the power plant that generates all of the electrical power for our area of the state.  I was very, very impressed.  I really had no idea how or where our electricity came from.  I wish I had pictures but I forgot my camera.  We were able to take a tour of the plant itself.  It was big and it was loud.  Two aspect of the tour that really stood out to me were the amount of heat I felt and the construction of the building itself.

In some parts of the plant, because the generating of electricity is so hot, there is insulation almost a foot and a half thick.  One man said it gets up to 4000 degrees (if I heard him correctly - it was sooo loud.)  Also, much of the floor on the second level and above, were made out of some type of metal grating.  We were about four floors up and you could look through the floor and almost see the bottom floor.  I asked a tour guide why that was and he said that is just how the building was made.  I thought it might have something to do with the circulation of air.  But, what do I know!

I also asked if the plant ever stopped working and one of the workers said occasionally for maintenance.  But, other than that it is always producing electricity.  The plant is monitored 24/7 and the guys who monitor the computers etc. work shift work.  Flip flopping back and forth between night and day shift.

Representatives from almost all city utilities and programs were out there with displays and giveaways.  As a friend's daughter said "There is a lot of junk food out here and its free!"  She was right.  Popcorn, sodas, cotton candy and snow cones.  We spend most of Sunday afternoon out there watching, listening and learning.  I know I don't even have the beginning of an understanding of even the most basic science behind the producing of electricity or how exactly the plant works , but it did give me a better understanding of how I take a lot of our modern conveniences for granted.

We enjoyed it so much, the kids informed me we are going again next year . . .

No comments: