Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Memory Lane

It will be 5 years ago tomorrow that EG joined our family.  My 40th year was awesome!  In January, I went to New York City with my mom and sister.  About 6 weeks later I found out I was pregnant and in November my fourth baby, third baby girl was born.

I remember a day or two before I found out I was pregnant.  We had friends over and were sitting around eating pizza out by the firepit (it was February.)  I had horrible indigestion.  Pains in my tummy that were unreal.  I still, to this day, think it was because I was pregnant.

Anyway, a couple of days later, I called my sister to bring me a pregnancy test.  She hung around to find out the results but opted to leave when it came time for me to tell hubby.  He loves his kids but he felt our quiver was full.  And this was a little unexpected!  And to make matters more interesting, my due date was at the same time hubby took his annual hunting trip.

When I shared my joy with him, all went well.  We were scared but excited.  I was old so there were a few more health concerns but other than that it was a normal pregnancy.  We decided this time around we did not want to know gender.  And that part was really exciting!

November 14th, five years ago was a dreary, cold day.  But, it was the day!  I had been stressing all week because the 15th was my due date and hubby was leaving the following Thursday for his trip.  I called hubby home from work, arranged childcare and off to the hospital we went.  I was riding in his 4x4 pick up truck.  Not a comfortable ride, whatsoever, for a woman in labor.  And, to top it off, we had to get gas.  We had left the van at home because my family was going to follow us if they decided to keep me.

My fourth pregnancy and delivery was by the book.  Everything happened just as they always talked about.  (None of the others really had for various reasons.)  I was definitely in labor.  My room was like a revolving door.  The kids and my mom and mother-in-law and my sister coming in and out.  My water had broken so some of my labor was pretty hard.  But, given past experience, I had a ways to go.

Poor Boop was in the room with my mother-in-law when I finally asked hubby to have them leave.  The nurse had gone to get me an epidural.  I had previously decided I didn't want an epidural but caved in the end.  But, while she was gone, baby girl number 3 decided to come and the pressure and the overwhelming feeling to push was crazy.  For about 4 minutes, I was certain hubby was going to deliver the baby because there was no one else in the room!

Eventually the nurse came back, the midwife and my mom and sister.  I ended up pushing for about 45 minutes.  I was tired and in pain and a little bit frantic.  I finally was in the zone and a few minutes later baby was born.  I still to this day remember my reaction to having another girl.  At first I was shocked.  I was soooo convinced she was a he.  Shocked turned to love at first sight and we have been inseparable every since.

The girls were happy it was a girl.  Boop cried but soon got over it.  She was healthy and we loved her.

That first year was rough.  I did things with her, for her I did not do with the other kids.  I slept in the same room with her.  (Poor Boop had to sleep on the floor in the girls room for a long, long time.)  She slept in the bed with me.  We slept in chairs together knowing I would get to sleep from 12-5.  I knew she was the last and I just needed sleep.

Because the kids were pretty active in ballet and tumbling, we were always on the go.  But, she was a good baby.  We would all go the grocery store and doctors appointments.  Of course, the big kids were fabulous which made it easier.  I wore her in a Peanut.  I remember almost every night after dinner walking around the house so she would get her 20 minute cat nap.  Just enough so she would be happy while I took care of the other three.  At 7 1/2, 5 1/2 and 3, they were pretty independent but I still did a lot for them.  That changed pretty quick!

EG is sunshine and love and life and joy and giggles beyond measure.  She is tough and strong and determined and sassy.  She has kept us on our toes in more ways then one.  (She has been to the ER and urgent care more times than all the other 3 put together.)  She has kept us young and given us gray hair all at the same time.  She calls me her "snuggle bunny" and loves to hug and be near me.  Day and night.

She has helped to teach me what is really important in life.  And it is her, daddy and all the other children that make our family complete.

Happy, happy birthday to my special baby girl . . .









No comments: