Saturday, January 11, 2014

Pioneer Woman Round Two

Winter is such a great time for soups.  I love soup and most of the kids do as well.  Hubby will eat it but I feel he likes a meal with a little more substances to it.  But, so far, most of the recipes for soups I have tried he has liked.

This is Chicken Tortilla Soup.  



I started off with two baked chicken breasts, shredded.  The recipe called for the special seasonings on top before baking which I think I will do more in the future for other recipes.  The seasonings smelled great and gave the baked chicken a great flavor.


Lots of peppers, green and red.  And, of course onion and garlic.  All of which was sauteed while the chicken was baking.  Not pictured is the added black beans and Rotel tomatoes.  The base is water and chicken broth.


(The special seasonings which included cumin and chili powder.)


Tortillas cut into strips to add in at the very end.


Wonderful, delicious, hot soup!  Topped with cheese and sour cream!  It was a hit by most.  But the kids were not a big fan of the tortillas.  They felt they were too soggy.  That's OK because hubby and I liked them and were more than willing to eat them all!

I am not sure we will do this again.  We have a very similar recipe for a chicken chili with much the same taste with not quite all the work.  But, who knows.  Maybe on another cold weekend day, I will attempt to make it again . . . 

No comments: