Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The Journey

This past Friday, my big girls and a bunch of their friends had an experience of a life time!  And it was for something fabulous.

Just a little background:

The director of the company, of where my girls (and their friends) do ballet, had a vision a number of years ago.  That vision was to bring movement to women and children who reside at local domestic violence shelters.  She had been working on a story ballet called The Journey.  Last night she and many of the girls from her ballet company performed The Journey as a fundraiser to get her foundation started.

Since last November (I think), the girls have given up a ton of free time to help make this dream come true for their director.  Almost every Saturday since Christmas the girls have been rehearsing.  Every night last week, they had been rehearsing.  Some nights until 8pm.

When the director first presented her idea to the girls, two things popped into my brain.  First, I thought it would be a great idea for the girls to use their gifts and talents in a way that would help others.  Then, I thought, my girls would never get a chance to dance in a real ballet production.  Sure, every year they do their recitals and they are great.  But, to be a part of a true production.  That might be a once in a life time chance.

Of course the girls said they would love to be involved.  And enjoyed every minute of it.  And, this past Friday, we were able to see the performance and it was fabulous.   Unfortunately I was able to only get one picture of them in partial costume.

I have no idea how much money was raised or what the next step is going to be for the girls' ballet director.  But, I am glad the girls have had this opportunity.  And I just love every opportunity I get to see them dance . . .




No comments: