Thursday, August 25, 2011

Big Difference This Year


We are day four into school and I couldn't be more pleased with our transition. I give credit to the fact that we started to easy ourselves into a routine about two weeks ago. And I think that really helped. Plus, I have been getting up every morning, early, and in my prayers just asking God to help me make His plans for our homeschool, my plans.

One thing I wished I would have done with Nature Girl and Little Mama is take a picture of us learning to read. I just think that is such a great gift for each of us. So, this past week, NG took a picture of me and Boop. He is starting out great and has a great attitude. (Always helpful.)

One of the things I have noticed this year, though, is there really doesn't seem to be any extra time during the day. The "extra" time I had last year (which I didn't feel I had any) has now been taken up by teaching Boop reading, writing, and arithmetic. This year was going to be kind of smooth and easy transition into school for him. No pressure. Not real organized or scheduled.

But, about 2 weeks before our school year started I found out that he had to be registered because he will be 6 in February. (The girls didn't have to register for Kindergarten because they were not 6 by February.) So, because he is registered, he will have to be evaluated. Which means he will actually have make some progress during the school year.

I don't worry about things like that, really. And we have a great evaluator. But, I also don't want to take advantage of the system. But, that has definitely made for very. busy. days. having school for 3 children!

We are adapting and I am sure we will do great. Just trying to relax and remember that "God will fill in the gaps!" And to remember what a blessing and honor and privilege it is to teach my own children . . .

1 comment: