Wednesday, August 24, 2011

My Favorite Bookcase


With all the blogs I have looked at being all about back to school and showing off school rooms, I thought I would take a picture, albeit not a very good one, of my favorite new school hutch.

We bought it over the summer for $5. And I love it. It is next to the china hutch by our kitchen table. (Eventually we will get back to using the school room as soon as I am confident enough that EG won't climb the bookshelves.)

So, this is what my hutch has on it. On the very top shelf are books of our artist for the semester (Rembrandt), our missions jar, our army doll with our family friend's picture of their son in it (we pass him around while praying in the morning), our attempt at growing herbs and a book from when we went to the Baroque exhibit over the summer. The second shelf has the girls' school books we are currently reading for the semester. Shakespeare's Henry the V, Plutarch's Lives, Understood Betsy, Burgess Animal Book, Poor Richard, Robinson Crusoe, The Little Duke, Our Island Story and This Country of Ours just to name a few. Third shelf has our Latin/Greek word index card boxes, our scripture memory boxes and the globe. The fourth shelf has notebooks and manuals and teaching helps that I hope to use through out the semester.

Of course, I still have books, notebooks, math stuff etc. in the china cabinet. But, my little hutch helps keep things a little neater and more easily accessible.

We are studying anatomy and physiology this semester so I am hoping to get a poster of a human skeleton to add to the alphabet and the liquid measurements chart that are hanging above it. Today we have added our mummified apple experiment to the top shelf and our map of Minn of the Mississippi.

When you sit down to eat a meal, there is no telling what you might be looking at. Oh well. The dining area will never make it to the cover of a decorating magazine. But I am totally OK with that. It is amazing how school just kind of takes over the whole house . . .

No comments: