Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Dress


Today the girls have one of their very good friends over. They are in the school room drawing dresses. And there has been some talk about wedding gowns.

A few minutes later NG or LM asked to see my wedding dress. My first thought was "no." I wasn't even sure where it was or how it was packed away. Then I got to thinking about it. I don't think they have ever asked to see it before, so I said "sure" and I went about trying to find it.

It really wasn't all that hard. It was on the top shelf of our walk-in closet. All I needed was the kid's stool to get it down. So I did. When I took it out of the plastic they all "ooooed" and "aahhed". I did too, in my mind. I had forgotten how truly beautiful it was.

Well, of course they asked me to put it on. I haven't had it on since the day I got married, I don't think. I figured "what the heck." NG helped me zip it up. It was a little snug around my rib cage and a little big through the shoulders. But, other than that it was beautiful! They tried to put the veil on and they hooked up the train, which was very long and heavy.

I had to tell them the story of how the dress came about. I had seen the exact same dress in a bridal magazine. And fell in love. But, we had a very, very, very small budget and the dress probably would have taken all of it. I showed the picture to my mom and then mentally moved on to find something else more affordable.

One weekend, before the wedding, I went home to visit my mom. She had a surprise for me. She had bought a wedding dress that someone had been selling. It might have even been out of the paper. Anyway, it turned out to be the exact same dress for one tenth the cost. It needed a little TLC but I was in love with it. Lace, pearls, sequins and it fit me just right. Yay Mom!!

A friend fixed it up and it was the most beautiful thing I have ever worn. I was delighted to tell the girls my story of the wedding dress. Of course they nodded and smiled and went back to their drawing. But, when the time is right, many years from now, I am sure I will tell that story to each of them, again and again. How God truly does provide. For everything . . .

3 comments:

MollyMcFarland said...

Love this story.

Mary Beth said...

You are just as beautiful now as when you got married! Love that your girls are so interested...sweet kiddos!

Diane Moody said...

LOVE this memory!!! How precious that your girls wanted to see the dress - and you in it! Of course I might have to hate you for still being able to fit in yours! JUST KIDDING. So sweet. Such a beautiful wedding you had! I still have pictures from it on my computer's slideshow!