Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Sweet Victory

My second oldest daughter is sitting in the easy chair. Reading. She is my late bloomer in developing that skill. She is as smart as a whip. And loves school as much as any soon to be third grader. But, the skill of reading just took her a little longer.

And I am thankful to God that I have had her home. To be able to nurture that skill and help her to develop it into a life time of loving to read and learning through great books!

I will not tell a lie, I was a little concerned at one point. And just a little bit frustrated. What was I doing wrong? Was there a hindrance on her part? But, thankfully for a great homeschool group and a great evaluator, I knew I was on the right path. It was just taking her and I a little longer to travel it.

I knew not to rush it. I knew it was a skill she needed to develop at her own pace. I knew if I pushed it or started to stress, it would backfire. The last thing I wanted was a child who hated to read!

Have I mentioned she is smart?! She catches on to patterns and solutions so quick. She is observant and, oh yeah, sweet as molasses. With a heart about as big as the grand canyon!

Have I ever mentioned how blessed I feel to be able to teach my children to read? To see her sitting in the chair, reading, on her own, because she wants to, brings tears to my eyes. Oh how the world is going to open up to her . . .