Monday, January 2, 2012

Happy Birthday to Me

I had a great birthday on Sunday!  Sometimes it is a little weird to have a birthday on a major holiday but I really enjoyed this one!

My day (and year) started out in just the right place.  We had a church wide brunch instead of Sunday School and it was great to eat and visit with other church members.  I spent some time chatting with a lady who volunteered in the nursery when Boop was a baby.  She just recently became a Grandma for the very first time.  And, come to find out, she knows most of our neighbors and has since high school.  I LOVE stuff like that.

Then we had a really great church service about God's commandment for believers to be discerning in what they hear, see and read.  That nothing, if true, will go against God's word.  It was very encouraging in a world that is filled with false prophets.

A friend of mine was the guest pianist for the service and had called me a week ago and asked if I had a special request for a hymn during the offertory.  She knew it would be my birthday and it was her little treat for me.  I was touched beyond measure.  I requested How Great Thou Art and she played it beautifully.

Then my sister met me at the house and took me out for lunch.  We had soup, salad and bread sticks.  And, great conversation.  She and I don't get very much one on one time and we always say we need to do it more.  But, I am thankful when we do get to spend time together.

We had a family dinner and hubby made regular chili.  One of his specialties.  And another family favorite.  Dinner was topped of with delicious birthday cake.

My gift was a total surprise.  The family brought me out this big box to open.  It was kind of light and didn't make any noise when I shook it.  I was perplexed.  So, I unwrapped it and was totally in shock.  The front of the box gave a way the surprise.  It was a Coach box which could mean only one thing.  Inside this beautifully wrapped box was a real Coach handbag!!  I have never, ever in my life had something so elegant.

For the last 10 years I have been carrying diaper bags, well up until the last year. ;)  And have never given much thought to handbags.  Last year, my mom and sister bought me a couple of handbags that I really loved.  And, I was kind of due for a new one so I had dropped a couple hints. They have way better taste then me.  (Although one year hubby did by me a really great Vera Bradley.)  Anyway, my handbags take a lot of wear and tear, what with carrying shoes, drink cups, pull ups and sometimes even a change of clothes - for EG.

I love, love, love my new handbag.  And so thankful to my family for treating me like a queen.  I am not going to use it everyday, just yet.  I am going to break it in slowly.  Plus, I am not sure what statement I would be making with my Real Tree black camo jogging suit and my new Coach handbag!

So, so thankful today for all of my blessing.  From thoughtful family to kids to Coach handbags. . . .;)

3 comments:

MollyMcFarland said...

So glad you enjoyed your special day. You deserve it! Love you!

Mary Beth said...

Happy happy birthday, my friend!

Katie said...

Happy birthday to you!!! Hope your year is full of joy.