Thursday, January 26, 2012

MOWs

Taking a break today from our vacation pictures.  For stories that just have to be told.  So they are not forgotten.

We went back to MOWs today.  The first time in about 3 weeks.  Of course our prayer was to be a blessing to all those we serve.  Of course, the blessing was to us.  I just think it is so funny how God works that way.

Anyway, it was a beautiful day and I was feeling sassy, so we decided it was time to let EG deliver meals.  The kids all knew that all our clients would say "Awww, isn't she cute."  And she took her job very seriously.  She had to carry one of the food containers and she had no problem whatsoever handing them over to the clients.  She really was cute!  Of course, when it was the other kids' turn to deliver she would fuss.  We are still working on the taking turns thing.

It was good to be back.  And many of the clients were very happy to see us.  They love, love, love seeing the kids.

One of our favorite client's is an elderly woman who is from England.  Her house is like a picture of a wonderful English poem.  She has an English Garden surrounding her house, with birds and butterflies.  And as the seasons change, so do the many flowers.  It is just like a painting on a teacup!

When you step inside, their is art work and books and always classical music playing.  Very loudly.  Large picture windows with vines growing along them.  Then she speaks in her British accent and you feel like you have traveled back in time.  It is like entering another country.  So refined and peaceful and lovely.  (It is how I envision my life to be someday.)

Well, it turns out, our little lady friend with the British accent has written a book and it was just recently published.  I can't tell you how thrilled I was to hear that!  So many times, if I had had more time, I would have loved to just sit down and chat with her.  All while drinking a cup of tea.  Now I get to hear her life story in just a little bit different form.  The name of her book is England and Another Shore:  A Life.  It turns out she was in the Women's Royal Naval Service, W.R.N.S. and was a radio technician.  Her job was to listen to German U-boat communications.

She married an American musician and was widowed very young with 3 small boys.  She went to FSU and studied for her Ph D in Humanities.   I encourage all of you to look for her book an Amazon.  It is available in paperback and Kindle.  I told her I could not wait to order it!  She informed me that the Kindle version was cheaper, but it is just one of those books I will always want on my shelves.

I was so, so excited for her.  But, to be honest, I was not all that surprised she had written a book.  She just seems like such an interesting person.  Just full of stories to share.

Then, as we were delivering to our last stop, another one of our "little lady friends" we just adore,  informed me that today, was going to be her 99th birthday!!  You had to about pick NG and I up off the floor.  I would never, in a million years, have guessed she was that age.  She is quick witted, loves a good conversation and is totally mobile and lives alone!  We chatted with her for quite some time.  She mentioned that today her son was going to take her out for fish some place for lunch.  I gave her a hug and wished her a great Happy Birthday and told her I would bake her something next week in honor of such an occasion.

We have been so blessed by each and every one of our clients, in so many different ways.  We have developed relationships with almost everyone of them.  There have been times when I thought it was time to move on.  But, honestly, I can't imagine not seeing them regularly.  To know what is going on with them, to receive their wisdom (and great stories), to be able to minister and pray for those who need it.

Thank you, Lord, for showing, guiding us to this wonderful, amazing ministry.  For them and for us . . .

2 comments:

Crissa said...

I love that! It's so encouraging to hear how God is using you and your children in ministry! Thank you for sharing!

MollyMcFarland said...

Amazing.