Thursday, June 21, 2012

My First Baby Girl

This past weekend, my oldest baby girl and I got the opportunity to sneak away for a night.  A while ago I had asked her where she would like to go and she wanted to go to the beach.  So, I made a one night hotel reservation about an hour and a half away from home.  And this past Friday at about 10AM, she and I headed out for a little big girl time.

Of course, I had all these ideas in my head of what we would do and what we could talk about.  To take advantage of us just being together.  Daddy even gave us the go ahead for a decent seafood dinner at a real restaurant.

On the way to the beach, we had a couple good discussions, that she initiated.  One of which was what she wanted to do on our overnight.  She told me she wanted sub sandwiches for lunch and pizza for dinner!  She also told me she wanted to swim.  All of this sounded great to me.

When we got to the hotel, we realized it was crazy busy!  We checked in and had to park our car in a lot across the street.  Which really wasn't a big deal because I think we decided, that if we didn't have to leave the hotel, that would be just fine.  It was a resort so it really had just about everything we needed for our stay.

Our hotel room was nice and it overlooked the pool and the Gulf.  We immediately got on our suits and headed for the pool.  It took us a little bit to acclimate ourselves to the surroundings.  Lots of people, mostly families, lots of activity.




Nature Girl on our balcony.






Swimming at the pool.

As I mentioned, she wanted pizza poolside for dinner.  So we went to our rooms and changed into our clothes.  And headed back to the pool for some pizza and a walk on the beach at sunset.



Little love note on her bed from me to her.





Picture of our hotel from the beach.  It was huge and was really very cool.  They had a ton of security because random people walking on the beach would come up and try to swim in the pool, relax in the hot tub, and watch the entertainment.



She is soooo pretty.  Just look at those eyes and that smile!  It hardly ever leaves her lips.  She is so happy and so full of life and energy.  So full of ideas and thoughts and dreams.




For some strange reason, she didn't want to hang on the beach (maybe because we have been to the beach quite a lot this year.)  Buy, I made her anyway and I think she was glad I did.  The views were spectacular.  There had been rain showers so the clouds were magnificent.



Visible layers in the sand.



The sun setting.



The sandbar in the Gulf.  And very clear water, yet again.




We saw this roped off section in front of the hotel.  It turned out to be a sea turtle nest.  That was cool!



We spent the majority of our time poolside.  Or in the hot tub.  They even had a swim area for littler kids.  If you don't mind tons of people, the place was really family friendly.


Nature Girl loved the garbage cans that were shaped like dolphin.  She finally allowed me to take a picture of her with it!

After our walk on the beach we went back to the pool and hot tub.  We also saw a really great Polynesia show poolside, with hula dancers and a fire eater.  It was a special treat.  The girls were very talented and so was the fire eating man.  Nature Girl was amazed.  After the dancers, they set up for what they called the Dive in Movie.  They played a movie and we could watch from the pool or the pool chairs.  We watched the movie for a little while and ate ice cream.  

NG decided she wanted to get in her PJs and see if she could see and hear the movie from our balcony.  And we could!  She was happy about that.



Movie watching, in PJs, from our balcony.




The movie and lights from our balcony.

We fell asleep, after the movie, watching the College World Series.  And were up bright and early the next day.  We watched a couple of cute animal shows on Animal Planet and then back to the pool we went until check out.  (We were able to get a later one.)




Every where she goes, she makes friends.  They exchanged info and email addresses.


As I mentioned, I had a couple ideas of what I thought the weekend should be about.  But, it just didn't work out quite that way.  We both just needed time to be together.  Without me expecting her to help and without her having to help me.  We had nothing to do, no where to go and nobody to be responsible to or for.  I think that was huge for us.


Because we are together all day, every day and we have so many opportunities to discuss really important stuff, which we do, we didn't need to make this weekend about learning and growing and having "heavy" conversations.


If she talked, I listened.  But, that was it.  Everyday life provides so many fantastic opportunities for us to discuss important things, that I just wanted us to bond.  And we did.  I very much enjoy being with her.  She is smart and funny and very independent.   She is a great conversationalist and enjoys life.


We are a lot alike in many ways.  And different in just as many.  It was so great just to hang out with her.  We will definitely do it again. . . 

3 comments:

MollyMcFarland said...

LOVE this! Such a special trip! Love you both!

Katie said...

Forever memories.
Your daughter is beautiful!

Mary Beth said...

Awwww Ann....every tween girl needs a mom like you! What a great memory for both of you.