Sunday, June 24, 2012

VBS 2012

We just spent the last week teaching neighborhood kids about Jesus.  I am going to admit, it is one of the hardest things I do each year.  Not because telling other children about Jesus is hard, but it can be emotionally, mentally, and physically exhausting.  A lot goes on in one little week!  Kids from every walk of life come to VBS and this year we were short 30 workers just a few days before the start.  


Our theme was Everything is possible with God.  And He showed Himself faithful in a mighty way this past week.  On Monday morning, we had more than enough workers and things went so, so smoothly.  We had such a great time.  Many of the kids knew about Jesus but there were a few that had never heard His name before.  Or that God loves them no matter what!  It makes it all worthwhile.


My guys had a blast as well.  They enjoyed hanging out with friends and meeting new kids.  I like that they hear, in another setting, what we talk about during the week and in church on Sundays.


The kids had Bible, recreation, science, craft, snack and music.  The following are pictures that were taken during the week.  There were over 1000 pictures taken and the ones I have posted are just from our family and not in any particular order.  


EG in recreation class saying "Butterfly, FLY!"  (It was a game they played.)



EG on the playground.  


Me leading and no one following, hmmm . . . I had entering 1st grade, which was Boop's class.  I had many of the kids the year before and knew at least half.  They were a great group of kids and had really grown up since last year.  It is so great to see familiar faces and to see their smiles when they recognize me.



This year we had a science class as part of the curriculum.  I loved it and I think the kids did too.



Some of the pictures are from my bigger kids on stage.  About a month ago the music leader had asked them to be part of the VBS Praise Team.  So Boop, Little Mama and Nature Girl were up on stage during opening and closing everyday to help lead all the kids in the songs and motions.



Love, love, love this picture of LM.  So beautiful (inside and out.)


NG's VBS teacher (who is a real life 5th grade History teacher) told me she wished she had a classroom full of Nature Girls.


I love being a VBS teacher to one of my kids.  This year Boop was awesome as my "helper."  He did his best to set a good example for the other kids in class.


EG with water balloons.  She was in heaven.  Her regular babysitter was her teacher.  That is always nice for me. ;)











As a surprise for the last day, our VBS director arranged for the kids to see a hot air balloon.  It was really pretty awesome.  Each kid then had a balloon to release that had a Scripture verse on it and our churches website and the card attached asked the person that finds the balloon to go to our website and let us know where they live.  It made for some terrific photos!  The kids think the balloons look like sprinkles in the sky.



No summer would be complete without VBS . . . 

No comments: