Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Run, Family, Run



This past Saturday we "ran" our very first race.  Ever.

Back in January, a friend of mine invited us to sign up for a race or two, and then we would use that as motivation to "train" a couple of time a week.  Well, about two weeks ago, she and I looked at each other and realized the race was coming up and neither family had really "trained."

Oh well.  We participated anyway and had a great time.  It motivated us to really start taking exercising a little more seriously.  Our race weekend started out with a free spaghetti dinner on Friday night for the racers and all their family.  It was crazy to me how many people we knew or recognized.  I guess lots of runners in town.

For some reason I had registered hubby even though I knew he had to work.  I was kind of dreading getting up at the crack of dawn and taking all four kids to run in about 35 degree weather.  But we had friends there.  Friends always make things better!

We all started out together but that was the last we saw of anyone.  Mr. J had the two little girls in a double stroller and he ran all the way.  Running the 5K in 35 minutes!  The boys crossed the finish line right before him and Boop and his friend JD won second and third place for their age group.  They had their names announced, given medals and had their pictures taken.  Quite unexpected!  NG and her friend E came in around 40 minutes and Little Mama and another friend right after that.

I don't think I had the greatest time ever "run" in a 5K.  :)  But, I had a great time and was totally motivated to finish.  My friend and I came in around 50 minutes.  I just loved the feeling of actually accomplishing something!  I liked the runners high that I had until about mid-afternoon.  Then my hips and legs started to hurt.  But that was expected!

The run was through a really neat neighborhood and it was cool to see the pretty houses.  It was kind of hilly so that was a challenge.  It has motivated NG to start running on her own and she wants to run in the next race.  She has even asked for running clothes for her birthday.  We will see how long it lasts.

I kind of like it though, because it has motivate me to get in a little bit better shape.  Glad we stepped out of our comfort zone on a chilly Saturday morning . . .

No comments: