Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Chores

So, this week we are working on our chore charts.  (I really don't like calling them chores.  The top of their chart says "How I contribute to the family.")  We have been using the same chart for quite some time now.  And you would think it would be a habit to just do it, get it done and check it off.  And, it is for awhile.  But then we get busy and lazy and it gets done half heartedly.  By them and me.

I am taking the time, each day, to work with each child and their chores.  We do such things as wiping down bathrooms (always keeps the guest bathroom ready for visitors) and unloading the dishwasher.  In all honesty, the big girls rock at this and last week I even heard them talk about mentoring the little ones.  But that was kind of short lived!

I have been remiss in showing them, especially the littles, how and what I want done.  And so I am taking the time to do that.  I have been trying to get up a little earlier, although fairly unsuccessfully, to get my stuff done so I have time to help them with out feeling rushed.

That has been one of my attitude adjustments that I have been having to make.  Reminding myself we have nothing else to do but get our chores done right.  I have to resist the urge to hurry through so we can move on to something else.

I have had some time to teach basic cooking.  While LM and I were at dance Monday night and Boop and EG were helping daddy with the masterbath, NG made dinner.  Yesterday afternoon I was able to take the time to have Boop help me with last night's dinner.  I want the kids to know how and be comfortable with the basics of living.  Whether male or female.  To be honest, hubby is the true chef in our family.

But, again, I am just trying to solidify our foundation.  I know in a couple months, if I am not careful we will have to double check our work.  But, I feel if I take the time to really ground them in their morning and afternoon chores, if we get off base a little, it will be easier to get back on track.

I might add another layer to work on towards the end of the week.  But, for the next day or so, basic chores are my continued focus. . .

No comments: