Saturday, March 14, 2015

Week Two

I can get use to this no school thing.

It has been hard training myself to take the time to reteach habits and develop good character.  I have let so many things slide because I feel like there is never enough time to get it all done.  And one of the most important parts of being a parent is to instill good habits and develop good character. Those things, I believe, last a life time and are so important in no matter where you end up as an adult.

As far as chores go, each child has a list of weekly chores along with daily chores.  The weekly chores have gone by the way side as well.  So this week we have been working on getting back to those responsibilities.  Just realizing what day of the week it is and just getting the chores done to the very best of our ability.

Training in housekeeping is kind of two fold.  Maybe three fold.  First, I want my kids to be able to take care of a home properly.  Knowing how to clean a toilet or do a load of laundry.  Second, hubby and I both feel that chores are what you do to contribute to the household.  As a part of the family, those few chores are your responsibility.  Life is all about being responsible.  It helps in time management, realizing there isn't a cleaning fairy etc.  Lastly, if I didn't get help somehow, we really couldn't do all the things we enjoy doing.  Right after EG was born I had a cleaning lady.  My oldest was 7 and although she is a great cleaner and help, she was just too young to help me do all that needed to be done.  Once the cleaning lady left, it was up to all of us to keep the house clean and tidy.  Some weeks are definitely better than others!

Another area we worked on this week was our daily devotion time.  We have been pretty good about praying together and reading the Bible together and even encouraging individual quiet time first thing most mornings.  This week, my goal was to add in Scripture memorization.  So that is what we have been working on.  I have a system that I have used in the past and we will resurrect it and working on building/continuing that habit.  Just trying to encourage another life long habit.

Next week I am going to work on paid chores and start adding back some gentle school things.  Things that I really feel are the advantages to homeschooling.  My hope is to get back to nature study, Latin, timeline, art and composure study.  Along with all the domestic habits. . .


No comments: