Friday, April 27, 2012

BFF Club

I am so very proud of my girls and their awesome friends.  Some weeks ago, they created the BFF Club.  The BFF Club makes baked goods and sells them.  Half of the proceeds go to Samaritan's Purse, an organization that provides supplies such as mosquito nets and baby chicks along with the Gospel to third world countries.  They have great plans for the other half.  Things like doing lunch and trips to NYC!

Anyway, their first BFF Bake Sale was last Saturday during our annual neighborhood garage sale.  The club includes my two older girls and four of their best friends.  Each girl was to bake one thing to sell.  My girls were responsible for their own bake goods.  And they wanted to make most of it from scratch.  I took them to Walmart so they could buy the supplies that we didn't already have.  And they made Key Lime cupcakes and Cookie Pops.  All by themselves.  (I did end up having to make the frosting because we had a house full of girls.)

At the last minute I decided to have all the girls sleep over so they could be ready to go first thing in the morning.  By 8 o'clock they had their table set up at the entrance to our cul-de-sac complete with a pink table cloth!  All I did, all morning, was kind of hang back and let them do their thing.  Occasionally they would ask me for help or to get them something and I was happy to oblige.  But, other than those few things they were completely on their own.  And they did fabulous.

One of the girls and the neighbor boy, went around the neighborhood with signs on their bikes (and backs) advertising the sale.  They made change, packaged goodies, answered questions and basically had a fabulous time.  It was a gorgeous morning.

By 11:30, they had just about sold out of everything.  So, the packaged some things together and sold them at a discount.  They took the last plate of three or four cupcakes to a neighbor (who gave them a buck) and they sold out of everything.  There had been three types of cupcakes, cookie pops, bird's nests, mini banana bread, rice krispy treats and shortbread cookies.

Of course the girls were anxious to count their earnings.  When all was said and done they had made $110!  They were ecstatic!  To say the least.

They have since assigned officer titles and will be having their next meeting this coming Monday to figure out how to spend the money and to plan their next event.






To say I am proud would be an understatement.  I really was hand off (which is so hard for me) and they did so awesome!!  I am interested to see what they have planned next . . .

1 comment:

Katie said...

Yummy! And awesome.