Monday, July 30, 2012

A Weekend Getaway

Thanks to a good friend and my sister, hubby and I were able to go to the beach this weekend.  Just the two of us.  At first the feeling was kind of crazy.  We hadn't been away in about four years!

We had a really, really nice time.  Hubby works with a guy who rents his condo and it is across the street from the beach and it had a pool.  We swam, sat in the hot tub, walked on the beach, did a little shopping, watched a movie and did a whole lot of nothing.

We witnessed a beach memorial service.  A 30 year old man who worked at one of the resorts/condos had been free diving for some sand dollars for some guests.  He was not far off the beach and something happened and he never surfaced.

I mention it because it was one of the most touching things I have ever seen.  About 100 or more locals held a memorial service on the beach with flowers and tiki candles.  What caught our attention was a huge group of kayakers, body boarders and surfers just sitting out in the middle of the water.  So, we kept walking to get a little closer.  We saw random flowers washed up on the beach and a couple of tiki torches in the sand.  So, when we saw the gathering of people we asked what was going on.

As it turns out, all of the folks in the water were having the service and throwing flowers into the water.  It was a beautiful and sad and a reminder of the unpredictability of life.

I forgot my camera so there are no good pictures of our getaway.  I was able to take one or two with my phone.  Friday night we had a good meal at a seafood restaurant on the beach.  Saturday we had a steak dinner.

We talked to the kids briefly Saturday night.  Our family friends who watched the three bigger kids found out Friday night that they had no water.  Not any water.  But knew if we found out we would come home.  So, they managed to keep it a secret!!  Eight people in a house with no water for over 48 hours!!  What wonderful friends we have!!  And we were never the wiser!

My sister watched EG.  When I talked with EG that night, she started to cry a little bit and say how she missed her snuggle bunny.  That was kind of tough.  But, I assured her we would be home the next day.  Sissy let her play a game on her phone to help occupy her mind.  She also, during the weekend, had taken her for ice cream, to see The Cat in the Hat at Barnes and Noble and out to Chili's and Sonny's and shopping.  They had big fun!

I enjoyed being away.  I think it is so important for us.  For any couple.  But, I did miss the kids and was glad to be home . . .

2 comments:

MollyMcFarland said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MollyMcFarland said...

Glad you had fun! Tell Ells I miss her.