Saturday, July 21, 2012

New Language

I think I mentioned in an early post that the kids and I are taking a sign language class.  The lady who teaches it goes to our church and on Wednesdays and Sundays she and her sister sign the sermon for our deaf members.

On Wednesdays, the service is small and this past week we were able to sit in such a way as to be able to see Ms. S signing the songs and what the Pastor was saying.  Boop was captivated to say the least.  He kept watching her and watching her.  He would tap me on the shoulder and look up at me and grin when he recognized a sign.

A little while later I looked down at him and he was not only signing along with her with the words he knew, but he was learning and using some new signs that he had seen her do right then and there.  He was so darn proud of himself.  And so excited!  (I was proud of him too.)

The excitement was contagious.  I watched Ms. S as well, and tried out some of the signs we knew and some of the ones that we just saw her do.  I will be honest, it is a whole lot easier signing the songs.  I guess because a lot of the words are repeated over and over.  When she started signing what the Pastor was saying it was a little more difficult.

Last week in class I asked her if deaf people were patient with those who were trying to learn sign language.  Did they appreciate the attempt even though it might be slow and have many mistakes?  She said that deaf people are very, very patient and understanding and thankful for the willingness to try.  She said it would most likely make their faces light up with a smile.

I have no idea what we will do with our new found skill.  I am not sure if we will continue on.  But, it has certainly helped us have a new appreciation for the hearing impaired and what it takes to learn a new language and skill.  We have two more classes left.  We will just have to see wait and see where we go from here . . .

No comments: