Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Hope Chest

I have decided that I want each girl to have a "Hope Chest."  I just finished googling hope chests and what exactly goes in them and what their purpose is.  My thougths and ideas on them were not too far off from what their orginal intentions were.

I am going to take what I read, moderize it just a little bit and start one for each girl using things that I feel will benefit them some day to be wives, mothers, friends and followers of Christ.

I printed off a basic list from the Internet.  I am going to put it in a file and I am going to make notes as things come to me.  I am not exactly sure what type of box I will use.  A lot will depend on each girls personality.  And how much stuff I am going to collect.  The actual box will not be as important as the treasures and wisdom on the inside.

I will include books that have pointed me in the right direction.  If I do not include the actual book, I will include a list of them with descriptions and why I felt they were helpful.  I will also be sure to include the names of my all time favorite books such as Gone With the Wind and Uncle Tom's Cabin.

I have told them what I am planning on doing and the first thing we are going to get is a recipe box for each one.  Little Mama is already telling me what recipes she wants to include.  There will be a basic cook book and maybe some items that we see that each girl takes a shine to.  Maybe a candlestick or special plate.  Definitely journals and stationary.  The bigger girls and I have started journals to each other.  One day I write to them something that is on my heart.  And then, when they desire to write back, they do.  Those journals will be included.

I have memory boxes for each child.  At some point I will go through those and put some of the more memorable art work, cards etc. into each of their hope chests.  Each child also got their very first ornament on the Christmas the year they were born.  I will pass that on when they leave the house to set up their own Christmas tree.  (And maybe an ornament or two that they especially liked.)

I think I will include a special bible and a list of poignant Scripture verses.  And, I will try to include as much as I know about our ancestry.  Also, as a gift when each girl was born they each received  their very first book.  That will be put in it as well.

I suppose the list could go on and on.  As I think of things that would encourage each of my girls to be a Godly woman, wife, mother and friend, I will make a note and work on including it.

It will be a work in progress over the many years we have together.  But, every thing around here seems to be a work in progress. . . .

2 comments:

MollyMcFarland said...

LOVE this so so much. You are such a good mommy.

Janet said...

I love this, Ann!! What a great idea. If I can make this happen at our house I will. :)