Thursday, August 9, 2012

New Respect

I am not complaining.  And my mom has been great.  But, I have a new found respect for families who take care of a parent 24/7.

We have a plan here.  My mom is determined to do things on her own.  She loves us and loves it here but she does want to go back home at some point.  So, we know there will be an end.

Again, I am not complaining and I have it easy and my mom has been great.  But, I can not imagine having to care for someone, well except the kids, 24/7.  Get food, showers, going to the restroom etc. All those things we take for granted that we can do as adults.  To have to need help with most of it.  And to provide the help for some of it.

The kids are great.  The first two nights each girl stayed with my mom so if she had a problem in the middle of the night they could help.  Or come get me.  Last night she slept by herself but she had her phone and I had mine in my room so if she needed me all she had to do was call.  I know that sounds funny but it works.

Sometimes it is so loud in the house and there is so much going on that if my mom yells for me I can't hear.  So she calls me.  It works.  The kids help to bring food, water or help with clothes.  As I told a friend, we have been given an amazing opportunity to really show the love of Jesus to someone else.  We all have had to step up the serving of others a notch.  To all in the house.

We have a great patient so far.  So that helps!  I am not sure how long she will be here but I know we all have the same goal in mind.  To heal.  To get better.  And my mom is very determined.

But, it does give me great admiration and respect for all of those who are raising families and caring for a parent. . .

2 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Ann, I hope your mom is fully recuperated soon! Sorry this happened....I know she is glad to have all of you. Hugs, my friend.

Katie said...

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your Mom. She's in good hands.