Saturday, August 11, 2012

Snoopy

I debated on whether or not to tell this story.  It is an unfortunate turn of events.  But, in my heart of hearts I know it was the right decision.  And it is part of our life.

Three days ago we had to give up Snoopy.  It was a hard decision and one we had been struggling with for a number of weeks.  He is a great dog.  But just not for our family.  He did not have patience for the little ones.  If he did not want to be bothered by them he would nip at them in the face.  We (I) was hoping he would grow out of it as he got closer to two.  But, it was getting worse not better.

I know there are many who felt that we needed to train him and not just give him up.  But, he had that little problem on top of some other probably more trainable issues.  And in a house with 6 masters most of which are little it just wasn't safe.  I was always worried that he would nip Boop or EG when I wasn't watching.  Or, worse yet, one of the many little people we have in the house on a regular basis.

We had made the decision last Thursday afternoon and told the kids.  They of course were heartbroken.  We did all we could to make it up to them.  Daddy told them that some day we would get another dog.  He gave them each twenty bucks.  And they could get fish.  That night they had a sleepover with their good friends.  Anything just to get us through the moment.

As it turned out, that was the night we got the call about my mom and her knee.  So, the next morning we had to travel to her house.  Dog, kids, sister and all.  It took the kids' mind off of it and gave me a chance to figure out what to do with him.

When we came back with my mom, her dog and the rest of us in the house, I knew we had made the right decision.  I called the Humane Society and cried and told them my story.  They were so understanding.  They want their families and their dogs to be happy.  They did not make me feel bad or guilty.  I was so thankful for that!

I explained he was a great dog.  He just needed a smaller, older family.  And I was sure he would be awesome.

It is one of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make because it brought so much sadness to my kids.  But, one of the blessings about the whole thing was the way they handled it.  Daddy and I were honest with them.  And even though they were sad they understood.  Such maturity in my children.  There were tears and hugs.  I accepted responsibility for a bad/impulsive choice on my part, rushing and being impetuous when we got the dog.  I asked the kids (and hubby) for forgiveness and apologized for making them sad.  They forgave and hugged.  We have talked about disappointments in life and how to deal with them.  Oddly enough, it brought us closer together I believe.

They each are dealing with it in their own special way.  Boop and EG have recovered almost completely.  Little Mama wants me to call and check on him.  Just to make sure he is OK.  (They lady at the Humane Society said we could call anytime.)  Nature Girl is the one who is taking a little longer.  But, she is trying to focus on the good and thinking about someday getting another dog.

I have a folder now labeled "dog."  And we are going to write all the things we have learned and all the questions we need to ask.  And being honest about what type of responsibility it takes in having a dog.  And that you just don't know what you are going to get and having to be able to live with all the dogs great qualities and potential short comings.  The lady at the Humane Society said when the time comes around again, she would be more than willing to work with us.

It has been a rough week.  But, it has also been a growing week.  For all of us . . .

1 comment:

Katie said...

I think this is quite common. It happened to us, too. Dogs and kids don't always go together as well as we'd like! It sounds like you made the right decision for your family and that's what's important.