Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Science Experiement

We are trying to finish up our anatomy book this summer before we start something new for Science in the fall.

We just finished reading about our skin.  If I remember correctly it is the largest organ of our body.  Anyway, one of our experiments was to do our finger prints.  I thought we had the necessary stuff to do it.  (Thanks to my Stampin' Up ink.)

So, I got the supplies together and gathered the kids.  I proceed to start printing them.  And I did horrible!  The prints were so thick we couldn't tell any distinguishing lines or patterns.  So, I called in the expert.  And he brought his own tools, real finger printing ink, which isn't as dense or thick.

Hubby had spent many, many years working in booking at the local county jail and had the technique down to a science.  Now that he is on the road, he keeps printing ink and supplies in his deputy car.

Anyway, he did "professional" prints of the kids.  ;)  It was neat to watch him in action, rolling and pressing each little finger just right.  It was cool to look at the prints and see how different they all were.  How crazy that no one in the whole wide world has the same exact finger prints.  And, that the "print" actually goes way down into the skin of the pads of the fingers.

Boop's fingerprint lines were so fine and so close together.  EG's were much the same way.  I guess it is because they are younger.  Not sure why I didn't have pictures of the girls getting their prints done. Oh well.

I had the kids put their names and birth dates on them and I am going to keep them in our records.  Always a successful Science experiment when daddy is involved . . .









No comments: