Thursday, February 21, 2013

At the Top of Our Lungs

It has been a year of transition in our house.  I have an 11 year old who is in middle school.  At the beginning of the year, the change wasn't apparent.  But, 6 months later, it is so obvious that my first baby girl isn't my baby girl anymore.  She is different.  A little more grown up.  Not so much a little girl anymore and absolutely becoming a young woman.

Kind of scary.  And I am totally not prepared.  But, it is a little bit exciting when I relax about it a little.  The differences in my big girl are subtle but noticeable to me.  One thing I have realized is, she has to spread her wings just a little bit.  She has to put her toes out there and test the waters and test her faith.  Not easy for this mama to do.

One activity that we have added this year is the youth choir at church.  It was kind of by accident that this came into our view.  I knew our church had a youth choir but just because the church offers some youth activity doesn't guarantee that we are going to be involved.  One Wednesday we were at our midweek service and the youth choir came and sang.  I was blown away.  First, they were good.  Second, they had a purpose.  (They have a citywide concert and they take a bike trip that lasts a couple of days and they sing in churches and nursing homes along the way.)  But, third, was watching those teenagers praising God with songs and smiles.

There were many teenagers up on stage truly praising God with their voices.  They were smiling and enjoying singing about their Savior.  Many of them were not there just to be there or because their parents had made them.  I knew I wanted Nature Girl to be a part of that.  To hang around kids like that.  Smiling, singing and praising.  Good, God fearing kids who are working on having a purposeful life loving and serving others.

Needless to say, when youth choir started in the fall Nature Girl signed up.  This past Sunday, Nature Girl had her very first city wide concert with them.  And it was great!  So many kids from so many churches sharing the gospel through song.  And they loved it.  A bunch of kids from our church had solos and the did awesome.  EG's ballet teacher was one of the soloists so that was cool.  Our baby sitter's younger sisters are in the choir so that is neat as well.

It can be a little unnerving (for me) letting my baby girl find her way.  It is something I have to get use to a little bit at a time.  And, there is always some type of growth or life lesson in venturing out (for her and for me.)  But, all in all, I think it was a positive experience for all of us.  Next up is planning for the 2-3 day bike trip.  That will be exciting . . .



No comments: