Friday, May 31, 2013

One Proud Mama

I wish I had a picture, or better yet, a video.  But I don't.

Nature Girl has been singing in the Youth Choir at church.  We have a great Youth Choir, led by a godly man and the kids that sing in it are fabulous.  Last year when they sang at our Wednesday night service, I knew I wanted NG and all my kids to be a part of it.

They learn to sing and then at the end of the year they take their show on the ride via bike.  This year, they leave on Sunday and will be gone for 5 days.  They will travel 180 miles on bicycle and sing in churches and nursing homes along the way.

About a month ago, the pastor who leads all of this, asked for auditions for solos.  Nature Girl did not try out.  The following few days, as she was, yet again, singing around the house, I encouraged her to try out.  And she agreed.  I emailed the Pastor and because she had voluntarily sung a solo a couple of weeks prior, he said he didn't need to hear her again and assigned her a part.

She rehearsed her part.  Except, come to find out, it was the wrong part.  By the time we figured it out, she had a week left to get it right.  So, back to practicing.  But, because I am not musically inclined, I did not catch that she was rehearsing it wrong.  And it was a modern version of an old hymn so it needed to be right.  We found this out on Tuesday and she was to perform last night, Wednesday.

It is unusual for someone her age to have a solo.  Most of the kids are older and have been singing for awhile.  They have learned how to sing independently.  Things that NG is still working on.  Because she has never sang in a choir or had voice lessons or played an instrument she had a huge learning curve.

For 24 hours we worked and worked and worked on her solo.  The Pastor tried to help her get it right.  But she was just having some type of mental block.  Then yesterday we ended up going from one thing to another.  A 25 mile bike ride on a local trail, we got home late so had about 45 minutes to eat lunch and get to ballet.  Then by the time we got home from ballet we had 20 minutes to eat dinner and get to church for rehearsal.  So, it didn't leave much time yesterday for firming up her part.  But she did her best.  A friend listened to her and thought she had done it right.

But, because of her inexperience and my lack of musical knowledge we just weren't sure.  So, we decided that even if it was not exactly right, she was going to sing it with confidence because she did her best.  And any decision as to whether or not she was going to sing was just going to be the best for everyone involved.  Although it would have been hard to take, I knew she would understand what was best for every one involved.

Once again, she rose to the occasion and accepted the challenge ahead of her.  About an hour before her performance last night, she went into the music Pastor and sang her solo again. (If she didn't get it right, he was going to have someone else sing.)  She was nervous and scared and didn't want to fail.  We prayed and read scripture and just talked about how even this was in God's hands.  It was a wonderful teaching and encouraging moment for both of us.

A few minutes later, she came out and told me she did it!  I was so proud of her.  Not because she can sing, because I know she can.  But, because once again she did not quit.  Because she could have and everyone would have understood.  When the kids were rehearsing before the program last night, and I heard her part coming up, I sat in the doorway and peeked in.  When she was almost done with her solo, I let her see me.  And when she was finished I jumped up and down and gave her a huge smile.  I know I embarrassed her.  But, I needed her to know how proud I was of her.

She is a fighter.  She is determined.  It hasn't been pretty these last few weeks with all the challenges she has faced.  But, we have used these moments to point our focus towards God.  To work together as a mother and a daughter and as a family.  And God has choose to bless us in some pretty mighty ways.

She has her faults.  As do I.  As do all of us.  I am thankful for her in my life.  I am thankful for all my children.  They challenge me but they grows me to be more like Christ.  Who could ask for anything more . . .

No comments: