Thursday, May 2, 2013

PW: Pork Tenderloin

I think this Pioneer Woman recipe was a little bit of a disappointment.  I am not so sure it was because of the recipe but maybe just because of timing and, once again, not being real comfortable in the kitchen.  I did a pork tenderloin with roasted veggies and a fried cornbread.

I had timing issues.  The pork took longer than I thought which was really my fault for not realizing how big the tenderloin was.  So, the veggies were done way before the meat.  In fact, the whole dinner was suppose to be presented all pretty on a plate with the bread on the bottom, then 3 slices of pork on top of that with the veggies scattered around.  We ended up eating the vegetables while they were still hot, while waiting on the meat to cook!



The veggies were awesome.  Drizzled in olive oil and roasted.  The recipe called for carrots (white and orange), parsnips and celery root.  I couldn't find celery root or white carrots so I substituted a zucchini we had in the fridge.  I could have eaten a whole meal of just the vegetables they were so good.  I don't ever remember having parsnips before and they were delicious.  The veggies we will do again.


Making the cornbread from scratch using my chicken broth made from a whole chicken we had cooked early in the month.


Yummy roasted veggies.



I am certain the cornbread was operator error.  I don't fry well and this was very new to me.  Placing the cornbread dough on a baking sheet, letting it cool and then cutting into triangles and frying.  Taste and consistency wise, it just wasn't my thing.  Or the kids either.  Hubby liked it but said I should have fried it a little longer.

Because the timing of the meal was totally off, I never did get a picture of the pork tenderloin.  It was coated with some fancy herb.  It was pretty good.  Although, I think I over cooked it.

Well, all of my adventures can't always turn out perfect.  Cook and learn.  And that is what I am doing. . . .

1 comment:

Mary Beth said...

Sorry the pork and cornbread did not turn out so great...I NEVER make good cornbread! It is one of my many achilles heels in the kitchen to my southern dad's everlasting disappointment. :) We LOVE roasted veggies though! Try throwing sweet potatoes and broccoli in there too!