Thursday, July 11, 2013

In the Middle of the Night

My sister and I were talking on Sunday about what it is like to be a new mom.  I mean a brand new mom.  I so vividly remember the whole experience of bring Nature Girl home.  My whole concept of life changed.  I no longer was living for just myself or my husband.

I also very distinctly remember my response to not getting enough sleep.  OK not getting any sleep.  My pediatrician, at the time, told me I would probably not get another full night's sleep until my baby girl was about 8.  The thought of that was terrifying to me.  And that wasn't even considering any more children after the first one.

I needed my sleep.

I am pretty sure I have slept about a handful of nights since then.  Well, that is probably an exaggeration to make my point.  But, not too far from the truth!  It is amazing how 4 babies in about 7 1/2 years changes your perspective on sleep.  Actually my perspective on a lot of things.  But, that is another post altogether.

I say all this because, as many of you know, my 4 year old appears in my bed most nights.  Usually between the hours of 2 and 4AM.  Most nights I notice but there are some nights that I have no idea she is there until I wake up.

A time or two in the past year or so she will start a conversation with me in the middle of the night.  Tuesday's middle of the night's conversation went something like this:

"Mama?"

"Yes, EG?  Do you have to go to the bathroom?"

"No, mama.  Did you know that Boop cheats at cards?"

"I have heard that."

In my first few years of parenting: 1) this would have never happened - there would have never been a child in my bed and  2)  if one of my children woke me at 4 AM to accuse a sibling of anything, I am pretty sure I would not have been amused.

Because I am at the end of having babies in the house (first time I have had a four year old with out a baby/toddler - post for another day), I have realized how fleeting these moments are.  If I had realized just a tad bit sooner that my babies grow up faster than I can even imagine, I might have had many more captivating conversations with all of my children in the middle of the night.

I know one thing for certain, I no longer am annoyed at being woke up in the middle of the night.  I also realize that I no longer need a full nights sleep.  I might get some of those when my babies are grown and gone.  I am learning to cherish all of their moments.

Especially those in the middle of the night . . .

3 comments:

terri said...

I haven't thought about it in a while, but I sometimes miss the middle-of-the-night interruptions. No more cuddly little ones at my house..

Mary Beth said...

Love this post! The best advice a mom friend gave me when I was pregnant was this: She said "when you are up at 3 AM with your child, you can choose to be bitter and frustrated that you are losing sleep and will be exhausted the next day or you can choose to feel special and grateful bc you are the only person in the world at THAT moment holding THAT sweet child in your arms and you can actually CHOOSE to cherish that moment instead of resent it." SO I turned my rocker towards the window and when I was holding Taylor in the rocker in the middle of the night, I would look out on the street and try and feel sorry for all those sleeping adults on my street NOT getting to hold my sweet baby in the middle of the night! Totally worked! :) ANd now I miss those nights SO MUCH!!

Ann said...

Wow, what great advice! I know that helped!!