Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Playing Cards

Growing up my brother and I would play cards.  Especially when we were visiting my Uncle who didn't have a TV.  We would spend hours playing War and 21.  When I got a little older I remember being taught Gin Rummy.  I have fond memories of playing cards.

Why I never thought to teach my kids is beyond me.  Maybe because we have so many board games and a couple of DSs around the house.  Anyway, while Nature Girl was away on the bike trip our babysitter stopped by one night and she decided to teach the kids (and me) a couple of new games.

For almost the entire week Boop and LM played cards.  It truly was a life saver.  A definite rescue from boredom.  When Nature Girl came back, she had learned a new card game as well.  And then the other night daddy and I remembered we also use to play a game called Solitaire.

So now, going on about a month, we all have been playing card games almost everyday.  We have been playing so much that even EG knows most of the games and can play pretty well on her own.  During bath time there might be two games going on at once depending on who's turn it is to shower or bathe.

It seems to be raining a little more this year so card playing has helped keep everyone busy during the rain.  It is a great way for us, as parents, to spend time with the kids.  I have since put a deck of cards in my purse so that when we go somewhere and we might have to wait we can play cards.

We (they) have been learning sportsmanship and patience (teaching EG) and some of the games even teach math.  Woo hoo!  A great opportunity for me to be thankful for the little things in life.  I will remember this summer as the one we spent playing cards . . .

No comments: