Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Pickers




So, one of the hobbies my hubby has is to go "dumpster diving."  Well, really not dumpster diving more like "picking" or, well, I am not sure what to call it.  But he is not above seeing someone else's trash as his treasure.  I shudder when we are driving down the road and he sees something that has been discarded and he sees great potential for it.

I will admit, sometimes he gets some things that are useful.  Many times he will pick something up that might have parts for something we already have so he is able to fix it with out paying for parts.  Many times, though, I just kind of shut my eyes.  Especially when he finds things in our neighborhood.  

Well, the above pictures are of two chairs he found discarded in our neighborhood.  The neighbor was moving and selling them.  Apparently no one bought them because he found them on the curb.  And proceeded to toss them in the back of his truck.

He has spent the last week or ten days fixing one up.  Sanding the wood, replacing rusty hardware and then painting it.  I have to admit, I am pretty proud of his "pick."  These chairs ain't cheap brand new.


We have placed this one on our porch and he will set to work on the other one.  I have a new appreciation for his "hobby" . . .

1 comment:

Mary Beth said...

awesome!! My friend calls it "repurposing" or "upcycling" an item depending on what she ends up doing with it. I think it so cool that Paul can do that!!