Friday, August 2, 2013

Kefir

We have been attempting to eat a little healthier.  To eat foods that have wholesome nutritional value.  (Although we haven't given up Chick-fil-A or pizza!)  And the following is a little something we have been "experimenting" with.  It is called kefir and it has been around forever. It is a really good "beverage" to keep your insides healthy.  Full of probiotics.

I have a friend whose husband is a nutritional guru of sorts.  He has a real job but he is very particular about his diet and the nutritional value of a lot of the foods they eat.  One of the things he drinks every day is kefir and he has done a bunch of research on why it is so good for him (us) to drink.

We have known these friends for a couple of years and it has taken him that long to convince me.  Well, he never really has tried to convince me of its benefits he would just share what he knows when asked.  I am always curious about new things.

Anyway, another friend of ours, who started to recently drink kefir shared their kefir grains with us and we have started to make and drink it.  The process isn't all that difficult but it is a little strange.  Kefir, is in essence, fermented milk.  You pour milk over the grains and then store them in a cool, dry place for 24 hours and then you have it.

I make it and pour it in a blender with organic mixed berries, vanilla protein powder, a tablespoon or so of coconut oil and either ground flax seed or chia seeds.  The kids and I drink it for a snack.  The little guys love it.  They ask for it.  The bigger girls, I guess because they know how it is made, can't stand it.  Although the funny thing is, it tastes really good once I make a smoothie out of it. (I make the big girls drink it anyway.)

Our friends drink it straight and quite a bit all at once.  I have tried it straight but it has a pretty sour taste.  Those who drink it straight say you just develop a taste for it.  I am not sure about that yet!

I don't know how long we will keep doing it.  When I don't make kefir the grains need to be stored in the fridge.  Right now, I feel, whatever we can do to make us eat healthier and to treat our bodies better, I am all for it.





Looks tasty, doesn't it  . . . .?

1 comment:

Mary Beth said...

Ohhhhhhh I am intrigued! Very interesting....