Thursday, November 18, 2010

Book I Love

Nature Girl and I just finished reading The Children of the New Forest. At first I was skeptical about it. It was written along time ago and the beginning was kind of dry. But, as the story progressed, it quickly became something she and I looked forward to reading everyday.

It was a Literature book for us, but, it just so happened to correspond to the time period we are reading about in English/American history. The book was about four young children whose house was burned down by Cromwell's Roundheads. The inhabitants of the house happened to be loyal to King Charles (Cavaliers) and the children, who escaped the fire needed to hide out in the forest and deny their heritage in order to survive.

It had so many great story lines. Four relatively young children who worked together to survive and thrive. The backdrop of an interesting time in England's history. The need for faith in God, in country and in people. There were many times over the past few months that I have mentioned to my kids how the "Armitage" kids were able to get a long and work together. They never argued. ;)

Of course, my "review" doesn't do the book justice. I look forward to reading it again with Little Mama . . .

No comments: